Wednesday 8 November 2017

Reflection by Joanne Hamilton
Joanne Hamilton bander and author 


The weather has turned for the worse and it’s looking like it won’t let up for the next week or so. The skies are a bitter, angry, grey, with winds and rain carving up the landscape. Slick mud and cold-water wash over the paths as the scattered leave litter the ground. The birds are trickling through, but many of the flocks have moved southwards to better weather. I miss seeing the huge warbler flocks of late summer, and the cheerful sparrows of early fall. Crows and Ravens struggle against the coursing winds, fine drizzle misting over us. Hopefully Redpolls will arrive soon, tiny splashes of colour against the monumental greys of late October.
I’ve decide to leave a few days early to avoid the possibility of snow and ice. I finish closing the lab for the day and think fondly of my time spent here at the Hilliardton Marsh. I’ve met many kind and thoughtful people, and had the chance to band hundreds of different birds. I learned so much about birds while here, and I learned so much about myself. But none of this would have been possible without the people at the Marsh, I am incredibly grateful to them who made this experience as memorable as it was.

I would like to say thank you to Bruce Murphy who taught me so much about birds, banding, public outreach, education, and made a valiant attempt to teach me how to golf. 
A thank you to Joanne Goddard who showed me hummingbird banding, and whose hospitality and kindness made the Marsh a home away from home.
Thank you to Sarah Bonnett, you always brought energy and positivity to everything you did, and helped me immensely with learning how to use eBird and Bandit.

chris sukha

Thank you to Nicole Blackburn, who brought new perspectives on Canadian culture, forced me to learn a new type of cooking, and who’s kindness made even the most difficult days positive.
Thank you to Chris Sukha, a very patient and dedicated teacher who taught me so much about birds and banding.
Sarah Bonnett

Thank you to Michelle McKay, who helped me immensely in understanding how the ‘real world’ works in terms of job hunting, master programs, and writing.

Michelle McKay

Special mention to Greg Rand for his knowledge of birding, despite him getting the Mario theme song stuck in my head for weeks.
Nicole Blackburn
A special thank you to all the visitors at the Marsh and the dorm who brought new ideas, perspectives, and taught me so much about teaching others about birds and banding.





1 comment:

  1. Aw!! We too need to thank you for your dedication to the marsh! (and for helping us pass the time between owl net checks with some most interesting games!) We will miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete