Wednesday 27 April 2016

non standard tuxedo's and lessons from the school of flock


Banding at the hilliardton marsh does not really begin until Monday May 2nd. That is when we begin our standard protocol. Being retired however gives me the privilege and pertinence  to involve people  in the migration web when I can. The last two days  all of the  southern american tree sparrows  and  junco's have arrived in full force. So many people have been contacting me and asking me what the "tuxedo" birds are. I have always loved that name to describe junco's.


They always arrive  with their companion throng of  american tree sparrows. I have always felt that they push along any late redpolls. It is almost like  being a leaf fan and lingering too long at a playoff party and knowing that it is really time to leave the ice and snow and  head to the golf course.  We still managed to catch a  couple of redpolls that are in migration denial and are still lingering .


Totals for today will follow.  I was very lucky to get to band a couple of hours during recess and Phys Ed time with those wonderful kids at kerns public. I will never be able to describe how lucky I am to be surrounded by enthusiasm and admiration for birds. The kindergarten kids have charts of birds seen at the feeders by their "wonder windows. "


The grade 5 and 6 kids after all of their trap experience with snow buntings are moving to the next step of learning how to take bird out of the nets. I often have to take a step back and realize how cool and unique this is. The best part of sharing birds and banding with these kids  is they celebrate every new arrival and  each others success at taking birds out. They have also accepted as young extractors there are many birds they cannot take out yet. They call these "murph birds" I am prouder of these birds as they have accepted it is more important about the birds being taken out safely than the security of their ego's. I have witnessed adults that could do well to learn from this fantastic group of kids we call "school of flock"




Kerns  public school banding  2 nets  1.5 hours April 25th

junco's                             33
american tree sparrow     16
purple finch                      3
common redpoll               2
pine siskin                        1
common grackle               1

54 birds   6 species




No comments:

Post a Comment