Friday 8 April 2016

Temiskaming shores life guard rescues robins

I love little stories about people taking a little time out of their busy days to save birds. Cheryl Gilbert is the head life guard and runs the aquatics program  at the Temiskaming shores pool and fitness center . On my way into the  pool I noticed over 20 robins in the crab trees  outside and  tried to take a few photo's with my phone . While I was checking in I noticed they were laminating some bird silhouettes . When i asked why they said a robin had hit one of the windows so they wanted to put something up to show them that the windows were there. Problem solved! We had just had a dump of snow and the robins were clearly hungry and had stripped the trees  about an hour later and had flown off. The bird signs had come down and no one  was any the wiser. I think they had heard about the waxwings that had been killed in Ottawa and wanted to make sure the robins would not have shared the same fate. The difference between the two events is there was nothing in the media about the nice lady who saved the birds and there was no carnage and no outrage as one citizen took ta moment  to go beyond her job and help nature. Thanks Cheryl well done. I will think of you next time I hear "Rockin Robin"and no that song was not on the hit parade when I was a kid !!
Bird is the word


1 comment:

  1. In conditions like this Robins really benefit if you put out currants for them to eat - a good size for them to handle and packed with energy.

    ReplyDelete